Ageism ?

What is ageism? Dictionary.com says this: noun
1.
discrimination against persons of a certain age group.
2.
a tendency to regard older persons as debilitated, unworthy of attention, or unsuitable for   employment.

Personally, I have seen this the other way around. I have seen more younger people being discriminated against for being young and inexperienced. I have a respect for my elders. I would never think to discriminate against them. They founded our communities, fought for our freedoms. I have the utmost respect for them. They did things the right way, the long way, the only way that they could do them. We have so many shortcuts now. We get lazy. Most of them worked hard every single day. Why discriminate against them now? If they were hard workers then, why would their mentality and work ethics change now? Respect them. They have earned it and deserve it.

As for young people, not all of them are uneducated, rude and impatient. Just because someone does not have the same amount of experience as you do, does not mean they have no experience. Everyone has different experiences and sees and does things differently. Everybody should start at the same standard and be treated equally regardless of their age. 

I had my first child when I was 21. Some thought I was too young to be a mother, that I was not old enough to be a good mom.  I have seen teen moms be amazing mothers. I have seen first time moms in their late 30s have rocky parenting moments. Age does not matter. It's just a number. 

Ageism, it goes both ways. 


Comments

Popular Posts